The All-Knighters in Scales of War
Forced Activation of Magic Items
Magic items with Encounter of Daily powers can be forced to activate additional times within the same “window” (day or encounter, respectively), but this places a physical and metaphysical strain on the weilder of the item. This is called “Forced-Triggering”
If an item is Force-Triggered, it makes an attack roll against the wielder.
- It has a BAB equal to its item level, +1 if it is an encounter ability being Force-Triggered, or +2 if it is a daily ability, +1 for each Forced-Activation within the same time-window. The Attack is Vs. Fortitude.
- If this attack hits, it “damages” the PC’s metaphysical substance, which applies the following conditions, in sequence, after each successful hit: Weakened, Weakened + Slowed, Stunned, Unconscious.
- Each condition replaces any previous conditions that Forced-Activation had already imposed (for example, if you were already Weakened + Slowed becasue you had force-activated an item’s Daily power three times that day, and you were hit with a fourth, you would no longer be weakened and Slowed, but would instead become stunned).
- These conditions persist until the next extended rest.
- Conditions may also be removed by spending 2 surges in immediately subsequent actions (3 for daily powers). Spending a surge in this way provides NO hitpoints, and takes a move action, but provokes an Opportunity Action. They must be spent in series, but they can be spent across 2 rounds.
- Conditions are applied after the power’s effect has resolved
- If conditions are removed by spending Surges, the condition persists until after all the required surges are spent.