The All-Knighters in Scales of War
A mechanical change that would make things a little more flamboyant and action-packed, but is a significant departure from what we’ve been doing:
- Eliminate the XP\Reroll Chips
- Eliminate “Action Points”
- Institute M&M-style Hero Points
Hero Points, and how they work:
Hero Points would be burnable for a reroll, using the “less-than-half-equals-half” addend from M&M, so your re-rolls would rarely suck.
Hero Points would be:
- usable for any related power\feature that refers to Action Points.
- earned by general coolness, setbacks, and random acts of Awesome, on top of the normal 1-per-milestone rate.
- Burnable to pull a power stunt
- At the end of a session, you can choose to cash in your Hero Points, if you have any, for a Percentage-based XP boost, +10% per point, with a maximum of +50%
Some possible options for expansion:
Hero Points can be burned, with a Surge, to be able to use a Ritual in combat. Doing so would reduce the casting time along the following guidelines:
- 1 minute = Move action
- 10 minutes = Standard Action
- 30 minutes = Full-round action.
- Every 20 by which you beat the required Skill Check reduces that by 1 step.
The durations of the Rituals would be similarly reduced by an order of magnitude (permanent → day → hours → minutes → rounds → Initiative ticks)
At the start of each session, each player gets 2 Hero Points, +1 for each action oint they would normally have.